City by the inimitable charm. Characterized by narrow streets that wind around each other, towers and palaces imperious, preserves the medieval heart enclosed by walls.
A backdrop is a wonderful area: hills covered with vineyards and olive groves, farmhouses everywhere, villages, castles and churches.
The Sienese territory stretches , north towards Florence - returning to full part of the Chianti Classico region - and south to the Val d' Orcia and the hills called " Crete" .
In Siena culture is always home .
It is home to the University for more than 750 years . It houses the Chigi Academy of Music , the Academy of Fisiocritici and Intronati , the University for Foreigners .
And then ...
... is home to one of the most popular traditional events , so deeply rooted in the city to become a hallmark of his own identity : the Palio . < / strong >
Of Etruscan origin , it would take its name from the Senio , twin Ascanio ( sons of Remus , brother of Romulus ) .
Senio according to legend, have founded , bringing with them ' the icon of the she-wolf suckling the twins , still the symbol of the city along with the initials SPQS ( Senatus Populusque of Siena ) .
In medieval times, especially as the City, Siena experienced a period of great commercial prosperity that earned the city the envy, and therefore the expansionist ambitions of neighboring rival Florence and especially its clerical faction Guelph .
< / div>
The dispute was bloody and had multiple affairs . Initially submitted by the Florentines at a particularly odious peace , Siena took its revenge in Montaperti in 1260 , in the historic battle celebrated by Dante Alighieri.
Despite the victory , he abandoned the dream Ghibelline Siena and was led by the Guelph government told the Nine, until 1355 .
In this period the city enjoyed great wealth and was enriched its most beautiful monuments .
Illustrious figures of the city were St. Catherine of Siena and Pope Piccolomini .
The motions of freedom of Siena , however, continued for a long time until the city was finally conquered by the Florentines in 1555 , and assigned to the Medici with the Treaty of Caveau - CambrÚsis four years later.
During the Risorgimento , the sull'onta never dormant spirit of freedom of Siena , the city was among the first to take an active part in the events of this period and was the first of the Tuscan cities to vote for annexation to the Kingdom of Italy.
San Gimignano rises on a site inhabited by the Etruscans certainly , at least from the third century BC, and his first mention of the city dates back as 929. The first city walls dating back to 998 and included an earlier fortress , home to the market, and the slope of the Tower with the bishop's castle . In the Middle Ages the city was one of the areas of the Via Francigena, which Sigerico , Archbishop of Canterbury , walked between 990 and 994 and that for him represented the nineteenth stage ( Mansi ) of its return route from Rome to England . Sigerico the Sce Gemiane nominated , indicating the village as a point of intersection with the road between Pisa and Siena.
It is home to monuments especially for their exceptional state of preservation.
UNESCO World Heritage Site for its towers above justifying the name by which it is known " city of towers" .
Of great interest are:
Piazza del Duomo with its architectural gems such as the Cathedral of the '300 , the twin towers , the old Palazzo del Podesta with the tower Rognosa that , until the 1300s, it was used as a prison and now houses Theatre Leggieri .
The Town Hall built on the ruins of an existing building between 1289 and 1298 to accommodate the residence of the PodestÓ. You municipal art gallery and there are works from the second half of the '200 to those of 1500. The most important of these is an altarpiece painted by Pinturicchio in 1511.
The old Palazzo del Podesta that after the construction of the Town Hall was used as a boys' school and the hotel for distinguished guests.
The Palace of Propositura , which houses important works such as the loggia of the Annunciation and the beautiful fresco of the Annunciation of Ghirlandaio.
Piazza della Cisterna built in 1276 and enlarged in 1346 , was the ancient seat of shops and tavernas, and owes its name to the octagonal well which occupies the central part .
The Casa di Santa Fina where the girl spent much of his short life immobilized on a wooden table in the cellar for the love of Christ.
The Rocca di Montestaffoli Fiorentina realization of 1353 built to fend off possible attacks that could come from Siena or rebellions arose within the same city . In this fortress, at the end of June, there is " The Tournament of sticks ."
He was born in the Middle Ages around the Mount Royal , the hill from which the wines are named after the area.
After an initial domain of Pisa, Massa Marittima became progressively self to become a free city in the thirteenth century.
In the following century , the town was conquered by Siena and remained under his control until the middle of the sixteenth century when it became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany .
In June 1944, he consumed the Niccioleta massacre , where 83 miners were shot eponymous mining village .
Very nice to see is the Source of Abundance Ildebrandino Malcondine built by the Mayor of Pisa in 1265 .
Above the source was built barn audience. It was the place where every citizen had to deposit part of his corn as a spare for the times of war or famine.
The magazine , called Abundance , exercised his function until the middle of the '600 and later became the "Hall of Comedies ."
Starting in 1832 after radical renovations , it became a theater for performances of the Academy of Quick and emboldened , by the end
800, for those of Filodrammatica Carlo Goldoni.
After the war , the theater was converted into a cinema in the late 60's it was turned into a department store before shopping in a clothing store and then . Purchased by the city , has been restored to its former splendor , and today the building is used as a public hall for exhibitions and conferences.
Montalcino is located on a hill 564 meters above sea level and has preserved the charm of an ancient medieval village.
Its territory is part of the Natural and Cultural Park of Val d'Orcia and is covered by crops especially of lives (that produces high value wines like Brunello).
div > The oldest monument is the archaeological site of Poggio Civitella which houses the Etruscan ruins of the archaic and Hellenistic period: from the sixth century. B.C. Hill hosted a village and later a fortress with three defensive circuits, presumably abandoned during the third century. BC
The oldest document citing Montalcino is dated 715 AD, is signed by the Lombard king Liutprand and reports the dispute between the Bishop of Siena and Arezzo for the possession of some churches .
A second important document, dated 814 AD, informs instead of donating the territory of Montalcino by Louis the Pious to 'Antimo Abbey.
According to legend, the Abbey of St. Antimo, stands on a chapel built by Charlemagne in 781 AD. This is probably an exaggeration because the construction is dated between 1000 and 1118.
The Abbey is an example of Romanesque architecture and is built in onyx and alabaster.
Very particular is the apse rich capitals decorated with interlacing geometric, floral and animal figures, among them one depicting Daniel in the lions' den, by the latter, attributed to the Master Cabestany.
Natural Park of Maremma or Uccellina Park
Vast over 10,000 acres , the Natural Park of Maremma, the coastline stretches from the Tyrrhenian Sea to Principina Telamon .
It was established in 1975 by the Tuscany Region with Regional Law 65 of 5 June 1975.
The park is made up in part by Uccellina Mountains , with the highest point in the Poggio dei Ilex (451 m asl ) .
Here you can dominate with his eyes one of the the most beautiful stretches of the Tyrrhenian coast and see the islands of Giglio , Elba and Corsica. Very nice is also the view of the mouth of the river whose waters Ombrone , dark in color , they push off gradually mingled with the green of the sea.
On the Monti dell'Uccellina are found ancient towers and religious buildings ( tower Castelmartino , Collelungo Cala di Forno , Bella Marsilia and Abbey of St. Rabanus ) .
dell'Uccellina in addition to the mountains , the park includes the piWHAT’S NEWood of Marina di Alberese, the mouth of the river Ombrone and the Marshes of the trap . The latter forms a wetland marsh type that covers about 490 acres in the town of Grosseto. It is the area of greatest interest for wintering geese and dabbling ducks included among the ICBP .
The seat and the center of the park there are views Alberese ( phone +39 0564 407098 Fax +39 0675 407292 ) .
To access the park the only way is to go to the Visitor Center and take advantage of Alberese bus organized ad hoc .
There are different routes at different times.
One of the routes is called St. Rabanus leads because their abbey ; requires a journey time of 4/5 hours .
The trail starts from the village " Pratini " skirts and a rich undergrowth of rock rose , rosemary, broom and then advancing in a grove of oak trees . It climbs up the mountains, and culminates in the above Poggio Ilex where you can finally enjoy the unforgettable panorama. From here you can quickly reach the Abbey of Saint Rabanus .
The fauna of the park is made up of various species : wild boar , fallow deer , roe deer , porcupines, badgers, foxes, martens and weasels .
The flora is Mediterranean scrub oaks, arbutus , juniper , thyme, rock rose and rosemary.
It is the paradise of avian fauna .